Updates on Teatrotaller alums

Jimmy Noriega receives prestigious Elliot Hayes award: for more information

Jimmy A. Noriega, assistant professor of theater and dance at The College of Wooster, received the Elliott Hayes Award for Outstanding Achievement in Dramaturgy at the 2013 Literary Managers and Dramaturgs of the Americas (LMDA) Conference last week in Vancouver, Canada. Noriega was chosen for his work on the development and production of Elaine Romero’s “Mother of Exiles” at Cornell University’s Department of Performing and Media Arts this past year. He was invited to join the production team because of his expertise in Latina/o theatre and his knowledge of immigration and border issues.
"It is an honor to receive this award from the LMDA,” said Noriega. “I am so grateful for the recognition. The work that I do on and off campus is very important to me, especially when it comes to expanding and promoting the work of Latina/o theatre artists. Working with Elaine Romero on the development of her new play was such a pleasure."

Colbert Alembert in Mamá Tingó"

"MAMÁ TINGÓ"
Los Angeles Theater Center
Downtown, LA
July 26, 27 & 28 (Fri. & Sat., 8pm; Sun., 7pm)

‡•‡•‡ In Spanish with English subtitles on a projection screen onstage ‡•‡•‡

Based on a true story about the heroic agrarian countrywoman Florinda Soriano (aka Mamá Tingó) from Yamasá, the Dominican Republic, who was murdered under President Balaguer's administration in the 70s for fighting for the countryside workers and their rights to the land.

? ? ? I play her husband (Jesús María) and this is my very first Dominican production with a Dominican writer, a Dominican director, and an all-star talented Dominican cast -- 3 women, 4 men -- in Los Angeles, of all places :-) ? ? ?