Industrial Administration, Carnegie Mellon University, 1997.
Industrial Administration, Carnegie Mellon University, 1994.
Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering, Iowa State University, 1993.
Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, 1989.
- “Achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals-2030 through the Nutraceutical Industry: A Review of Managerial Research and the Role of Operations Management” with Shailly Chaurasia, Rupesh Pati, Sidhartha Padhi and Jennifer Jensen, Decision Sciences, Forthcoming.
- “Industrial Symbiosis: Operational Impact and Firms’ Willingness to Implement” with Yunxia Zhu, Milind Dawande, and Vaidy Jayaraman, IISE Transactions (formerly IIE Transactions), Forthcoming.
- “Co-opetition in Service Clusters with Waiting-Area Entertainment” with Xuchuan Yuan, Tinglong Dai, and Lucy G. Chen, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, Forthcoming.
- “Bundling Decisions in a Two-Product Duopoly - Lead or Follow?” with Shu Zhou and Boqian Song, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 284, No. 3, 2020, 980-989.
- “From Green to Good Supply Chains -
Halo Effect between Environmental and Social Responsibility” with Valentina Carbone, Valerie Moatti, and Tobias Schoenherr, International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, Vol. 40, No. 8, 2019, 839-860.
- “Reactive Production with Preprocessing Restriction in Supply Chains with Forecast Updates” with Meimei Zhang, Masha Shunko, Kan Wu, and Yan Shu, IISE Transactions (formerly IIE Transactions), Vol. 51, No. 12, 2019, 1402-1436.
- “Retailer Order Commitments Improve Distribution Supply Chain Performance” with Lawrence Robinson, Operations Research Letters, Vol. 47, No. 4, 2019, 281-287.
- “Risk Aversion and Implicit Shortage Cost Explain the Anchoring and Insufficient Adjustment Bias in Human Newsvendors” with Lawrence Robinson, Operations Research Letters, Vol. 45, No. 3, 2017, 191-198.
- “Understanding Online Hotel Reviews through Automated Text Analysis” with Hyun Jeong Han, Shawn Mankad, and Joel Goh, Service Science, Vol. 8, No. 2, 2016, 124-138.
- “Self-Selecting Priority Queues with Burr Distributed Waiting Costs” with Vidyadhar Kulkarni, Production and Operations Management, Vol. 25, No. 6, 2016, 979-992.
- “Impact of Information Sharing, Random Yield, Correlation, and Lead Times in Closed Loop Supply Chains” with Takamichi Hosoda and Stephen M. Disney, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 246, 2015, pp. 827-836.
- “Impact of Information Errors on Supply Chain Performance” with Jin Kyung Kwak, Journal of Operational Research Society , Vol. 66, No. 2, 2015, pp. 288-298.
- “Transfer Pricing and Sourcing Strategies for Multinational Firms” with Masha Shunko and Laurens Debo, Production and Operations Management , Vol. 23, No. 12, 2014, pp. 2043-2057.
- “Optimal Selection of Line Extensions: Incorporating Operational, Financial, and Marketing Constraints” with Liying Mu, Milind Dawande, and Chelliah Sriskandarajah, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management Vol. 61, No. 4, 2014, pp. 738-754.
- “Concierge Medicine: Applying Rational Economics to Health Care Queuing” with Vidyadhar Kulkarni, Cornell Hospitality Quarterly , Vol. 55, No. 3, 2014, pp. 314-325.
- “Designing Dedicated Transportation Subnetworks:
Design, Analysis, and Insights” with Tharanga Rajapakshe, Milind Dawande,
Chelliah Sriskandarajah, and Rao Panchalavarapu, Production and Operations Management , Vol. 23, No. 1, 2014, pp. 138-159.
- “A Note on the Effectiveness of Scheduled Balanced Ordering in a One-supplier Two-retailer System with Uniform End-customer Demands” with Lucy G. Chen, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 146, No. 1, 2013, pp. 240-246.
- "Chinese Perspectives on Newsvendor Bias: An Exploratory Note" with Yin Cui, Lucy G. Chen, Jian Chen and Qi Wang, Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 31, No. 1-2, 2013, pp. 93-97.
- "Efficient Distribution of Water Between Head-Reach and Tail-End Farms in Developing Countries" with Milind Dawande, Mili Mehrotra and Vijay Mookerjee, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, Vol. 15, No. 2, 2013, pp. 221-238.
- "Supply Chains in the Presence of Store Brands" with Xiang Fang and Vithala Rao, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 224, No. 2, 2013, pp. 392-403.
- "Forecast and Rolling Horizons under Demand Substitution and Production Changeovers: Analysis and Insights" with Amit Bardhan, Milind Dawande, Yinping Mu and Suresh Sethi, IIE Transactions, Vol. 45, No. 3, 2013, pp. 323-340.
- "Fee-For-Service Contracts in Pharmaceutical Distribution Supply Chains: Design, Analysis, and Management" with Hui Zhao, Chuanhui Xiong and Adam Fein, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, .Vol. 14, No. 4, 2012, pp. 685-699.
- "Retailer Policy, Uncertainty Reduction, and Supply Chain Performance" with Jin Kyung Kwak, International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 132, No. 2, 2011, pp. 271-278.
- "Production Planning with Patterns: A Problem from
Processed Food Manufacturing" with Milind Dawande, Mili Mehrotra,
Mehmet Demirci and Sridhar Tayur, Operations
Research, Vol. 59, No. 2, 2011, pp. 267-282.
- "On the Interaction Between Demand Substitution
and Production Changeovers" with Milind Dawande, Yinping Mu, Chelliah
Sriskandarajah and Suresh Sethi, Manufacturing
& Service Operations Management, Vol. 12, No. 4, 2010, pp.682-691.
- "Using Scheduled Ordering to Improve Performance
of Distribution Supply Chains" with Lucy Chen, Management Science, Vol. 56, No. 9, 2010, pp. 1615-1632.
- "Anatomy of a Newsvendor Decision: Observations
from a Verbal Protocol Analysis" with Alice M. Isen, Production
and Operations Management, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 453-462.
- "Periodic Flexibility, Information Sharing and
Supply Chain Performance" with Wanshan Zhu and Roman Kapuscinski, IIE
Transactions, Vol. 42, No. 3, 2010, pp. 173-187.
- "Discrete Forecast Horizons for Two-Product
Variants of the Dynamic Lot-Size Problem" with Milind Dawande,
Sanjeewa Naranpanawe and Suresh Sethi, International Journal of
Production Economics, Vol. 120, No. 2, 2009, pp. 130-136.
- "Anchor Selectioin and Group Dynamics in
Newsvendor Decisions - A Note" with Yusen Xia, Decision Analysis,
Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 87-97.
- "Value of Sharing Upstream Yield Information in a
Serial Supply Chain" with Hyun-Cheol Choi and Doug Blocher, Production
and Operations Management, Vol. 17, No. 6, 2008, pp. 614-625.
- "Teaching the Subjective Aspect of Forecasting
Through the Use of Basketball Scores", Decision Sciences Journal
of Innovative Education, Vol. 6, No. 1, January 2008, pp. 187-195.
- "Forecast Horizons for a Class of Dynamic Lot
Sizing Problems Under Discrete Future Demand" with Milind Dawande,
Sanjeewa Naranpanawe and Suresh Sethi, Operations Research, Vol.
55, No. 4, pp. 688-702.
- "Role of Transfer Prices in Global Supply Chains
with Random Demands" with Masha Shunko, Journal of Industrial and
Management Optimization, Vol. 3, No. 2, 2007, pp. 99-117.
- "Simulation Helps Schlumberger in the Bidding and
Execution of Land Seismic Surveys" with Peter Mullarkey, Grant Butler
and Doug Morrice, Interfaces, Vol. 37, No. 2, 2007, pp. 120-132.
- "Kelley School of Business Uses Integer
Programming to Form Equitable, Cohesive Case Teams in Integrated Core
(I-Core)" with Rex Cutshall and Kenneth Schultz, Interfaces,
Vol. 37, No. 3, 2007, pp. 265-276.
- "Recoupling inventory control research and
practice – guidelines for achieving synergy" with Vikram Tiwari, Interfaces,
Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 176-186.
- "Effective Heuristics for Multi-Product Partial
Shipment Models" with Milind Dawande and Sridhar Tayur, Operations
Research, Vol. 54, No. 2, March-April 2006, pp. 337-352.
- "Price Fluctuations, Information Sharing, and
Supply Chain Performance", European Journal of Operational
Research, Vol. 174, No. 3, 2006, pp. 1651-1663.
- "Computing Minimal Forecast Horizons: An Integer
Programming Approach" with Milind Dawande, Sanjeewa Naranpanawe and
Suresh Sethi, Journal of Mathematical Modelling and Algorithms,
Vol. 5, No. 2, June 2006, pp. 239-258.
- "Scheduling a Two-Stage Flowshop under Makespan
Constraint" with Milind Dawande and Ram Rachamadugu, Mathematical
and Computer Modeling, Vol. 44, No. 2, 2006, pp. 73-84.
- "Confidence Intervals for Optimal Selection among
Alternatives with Stochastic Variable Costs" with Byron Finch, International
Journal of Production Research, Vol. 44, No. 20, 15 October 2006, pp.
- "Measuring Police Efficiency in India: An
Application of Data Envelopment Analysis" with Arvind Verma, Policing:
An International Journal of Police Strategies and Management, Vol. 29,
No. 1, 2006, pp. 125-145.
- "Teaching Data Envelopment Analysis Using
Applichem – New Perspectives on a Popular Operations Case", INFORMS
Transactions on Education, Vol. 6, No. 3, May 2006.
- "Periodic Review Inventory Control with
Fluctuating Purchasing Costs", Operations Research Letters,
Vol. 32, No. 4, July 2004, pp. 374-379.
- "Schlumberger Optimizes Receiver Location for
Automated Meter Reading" with Gabor Pataki and Lloyd Clark, Interfaces,
Vol. 34, No. 3, 2004, pp. 208-214.
- "Simulation Helps Maxager Shorten its Sales
Cycle" with Peter Mullarkey and Douglas Morrice, Interfaces,
Vol. 34, No. 2, 2004, pp. 87-96.
- "Information Centric Optimization of Inventories
in Capacitated Supply Chains – Three Illustrative Examples" in Supply
Chain Optimization by Joe Geunes and Panos Pardolos (eds).
- "Information Flows in Capacitated Supply Chains
with Fixed Ordering Costs", Management Science, Vol. 48, No.
5, May 2002, pp. 644-651.
- "Supply Chain Management at A Chip Tester
Manufacturer" in The Practice of Supply Chain Management: Where
Theory and Application Converge by Terry Harrison, Hau Lee, Corey
Billington, and John Neale (eds.).
- "An Efficient Heuristic for Inventory Control when
the Customer is Using a (s,S) Policy", Operations Research Letters,
Vol. 28, No. 4, 2001, pp. 187-192.
- "Benefits of Cooperation in a Production
Distribution Environment", European Journal of Operational
Research, Vol. 130, No. 3, 2001, pp. 164-174.
- "An Efficient Procedure for Non-stationary
Inventory Control" with Sridhar Tayur, IIE Transactions, Vol.
33, No. 2, February 2001, pp. 83-89.
- "Simulation of Back-Deck Operations on a Marine
Seismic Vessel" with Doug Morrice and Carel Hooykaas, Interfaces,
Vol. 31, No. 6, 2001, pp. 16-28.
- "Value of Information Sharing and Comparison to
Delayed Differentiation" with Sridhar Tayur. In Quantitative
Models for Supply Chain Management by Sridhar Tayur, Michael Magazine,
and Ram Ganesham (eds).
- "Managing a Customer Following a Target-Reverting
Ordering Policy" with Sridhar Tayur, Manufacturing & Service
Operations Management, Vol. 1, No. 2, 1999, pp. 157-173.
- "Value of Information in Capacitated Supply
Chains" with Roman Kapuscinski and Sridhar Tayur, Management
Science, Vol. 45, No. 1, January 1999, pp. 16-24.
- "Inventory Control under Speculation: Myopic
Heuristics and Exact Procedures" with Thomas Morton, European
Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 117, No. 2, 1999, pp. 211-221.
- "Periodic review stochastic inventory problem with
forecast updates: Worst case bounds for the myopic solution" with
Srinivas Bollapragada and Thomas Morton, European Journal of
Operational Research, Vol. 111, No. 2, 1998, pp. 381-392.
- "Designing for High Performance of a Command,
Control, Communication & Information Network" with Jason Rupe, IEEE
Transactions on Reliability, Vol. 44, No. 2, June 1995.
email me for a copy)
- Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Visiting Professor of Operations Management, July 2016 - June 2017.
- Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell
University - Professor of Operations Management, Since April 2016.
- Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell
University - Associate Professor of Operations Management From July
- Nanyang Business School, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore - Visiting Associate Professor, July 2011 - July 2012.
- Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management, Cornell
University - Assistant Professor of Operations Management From June
- Kelley School of Business, Indiana University -
Assistant professor in the department of Operations and Decision
Technologies from August 2002-May 2004.
- SmartOps Corp. - From February 2002 to August 2002, as
the chief algorithm design engineer at SmartOps Corporation in Pittsburgh,
I was responsible for developing algorithms and solution methods for
managing inventories in multi-stage supply chains.
- Maxager Technology, Inc. - From February 2000 to
November 2001, I was employed as a software architect in the product
development division of Maxager. I was responsible for developing
algorithms and solution methods for answering questions of product mix,
capacity planning, machine scheduling, etc. I was also involved in
determining how discrete event simulation can be used to make Maxager
products more effective.
- Schlumberger Ltd. - As a research scientist in the
Austin Product Center, I was actively involved in developing decision
support tools for logistics, resource management, and manufacturing. Some
of my projects were related to inventory control, scheduling, supply chain
management, facility location, and cost allocation for ATE, RMS, W&T,
Sridhar Tayur ,
Tepper School of Business,
Carnegie Mellon University,
Pittsburgh, PA 15213,
Prof. Roman Kapuscinski,
Ross School of Business,
University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, MI 48109,
Prof. Doug Morrice,
McCombs School of Business,
The University of Texas at Austin,
Austin, Texas 78712-1175
Updated January 5, 2021. For any additional information, please email me at email@example.com.