26 Dart Drive
Ithaca, NY 14850
Click here for file upload.
About Dr. Maines
I am a visiting scientist in the Cornell University School of Electrical and Computer Engineering. My principal current research interests are in the history of technology, especially building codes and engineering standards.
- Tools of the Workbasket: Needlework since the Industrial Revolution, forthcoming in 2014 from Texas Tech University Press.
- Hedonizing Technologies: Pathways to Pleasure in Hobbies and Leisure, Johns Hopkins University Press, 2009.
- Asbestos and Fire: Technological Tradeoffs and the Body at Risk, Rutgers University Press, 2005.
- The Technology of Orgasm: “Hysteria,” Vibrators and Women’s Sexual Satisfaction, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1999.
- Published in Polish, Technologia orgazmu Histeria wibrator i zaspokojenie seksualne kobiet (Warsaw: Aletheia, 2011).
- Published in Japanese, ヴァイブレーターの文化史―セクシュアリティ・(Tokyo: Ronso, 2011)
- 西洋医学・理学療法 [単行本]
- Published in Spanish as La tecnología del orgasmo. La «histeria», los vibradores y la satisfacción sexual de las mujeres (Barcelona: Milrazones), 2010.
- Published in French as Technologies de l'Orgasme: Le Vibromasseur, l'"Hystérie" et la Satisfaction Sexuelle des Femmes (Paris: Payot & Rivages 2009).
- Published in Italian as Tecnologia dell’Orgasmo: Isteria, Vibratori e Soddisfazione Sessuale delle Donna (Venice: Marsilio, 2001)
- Published in part in Spanish in Debate Feminista (Mexico City: 2001).
- Documentary film version: “Passion and Power: The Technology of Orgasm,” by Wabi Sabi Productions (Wendy Slick and Emiko Omori), premiered July 28, 2007 at Lincoln Center, New York City, http://www.technologyoforgasm.com/index.asp.
- Fictional film version: “Hysteria,” by Tanya Wexler (2011), starring Maggie Gyllenhaal, premiered 2012.
Play: “In the Next Room,” by Sarah Ruhl, Pulitzer prize finalist.
- Berkeley Repertory Theater, March 2009.
- Lyceum Theater, New York City November-December 2009, nominated for three Tony Award.
- Woolly Mammoth Theater, Washington DC August-September 2010.
- SpeakEasy Stage, Boston MA, September-October 2010.
- Wellfleet Actors’ Theater, Wellfleet MA, September-October 2010.
- Tarragon Theatre, Toronto, Canada, September 2011
- Cleveland Play House, Ohio, September 2011
- Victory Gardens, Chicago IL, September-October 2011.
- Kitchen Dog Theater, Dallas TX
- Herberger Theatre's Stage West, Phoenix AZ, October-November 2010.
- Sydney Theatre Company, Sydney, Australia, March-April 2011.
- Melbourne Theatre Company, Melbourne, Australia, 2011, nominated for three Green Room Awards.
- A Contemporary Theater (ACT), Seattle, WA, July-August 2011.
- Theatre Workshop of Nantucket, MA, September-October 2011
- Playmaker's Repertory Company in Chapel Hill, NC, September-October 2011.
- Plan 9 in Larco Theatre in Lima, Peru, fall 2011.
- Pasadena City College Theater Dept. in Pasadena CA December 2011.
- University of Iowa Theater Department in Iowa City IA, February 2012.
- Auckland Theatre Company, Auckland, New Zealand, March-April 2012.
- Fortune Theatre, Dunedin, New Zealand, June-July 2012
Puppet rock musical: “Oh, My!,” by Maggie Surovell, http://ohmythemusical.com/, 2009.
Television series episode: Law and Order: Special Victims Unit (Season 1, 1999), “Hysteria.”