Cornell Home

Temple in Iran

Student reflections on Persian courses at Cornell:

• The Persian language program at Cornell was potentially the most enriching academic program of my time here. Meeting with Professor Iago and the class every day was a treat, and I learned more in a year and a half about the language than I have ever learned in such a short amount of time. The courses were very multi-faceted. One day we would learn about interesting Iranian cultural tendencies and another day we would spend focusing on conversing with each other. Every single day was different and learning the language never seemed boring. Farsi is a very sought after language for students entering any field - at least, for me, it has aided me in a lot of ways for government careers - and I would recommend the program for anybody interested in learning a new language. My recommendation for you is to take Farsi - you will not regret it.                                

D. C.

• Like many college students, I had trouble finding my niche at school. I struggled a lot with academics, with friends, and even my overall place at Cornell. At times I felt that I didn’t belong anywhere. This all changed when I took Persian. I was finally taking a class on my own terms according to my own interests. My purpose for pursuing Persian was a personal one. It pains me to see Iran portrayed in such a negative light in the media. I wanted to learn more about a people and culture that is often portrayed as a nemesis, and wrongfully so. It seems that our world is crumbling down around us. Iran and America have a lot of tension. I felt that by taking Persian as an American, I could help create some understanding between the two nations. Even if I was making just a tiny bit of difference, I would feel that I did my part in helping promote peace among different people. I truly believe that the first step towards understanding a people, you have to immerse yourself in the language. So I went in thinking that I was going to save the world, and I left saving myself. First and foremost, Ustaad (which means Professor in Persian) Gocheleishvili, became my favorite Professor during my entire time at Cornell instantly. Always punctual, prepared, and polite, I finally had a Professor who was actually passionate about the material he was teaching. Ustaad loves to teach Persian, and we as students could feel his positive energy as soon as he walked into the classroom. Ustaad wanted to be there, which made us students want to be there too. Ustaad genuinely cares about each and every one of his students. He wants all of his students to succeed academically. If you cannot make it to his office hours, he will personally work with you to find a time to meet. He promoted our personal growth by allowing us to engage each other in class and even talk about politics, film, and music. I personally fumbled with grasping Persian. Not once was Ustaad condescending. Even though we were all a bunch of Persian amateurs, especially me. He encouraged us to make mistakes, because by only making mistakes and taking risks, would we learn and grow. Ustaad kept that classroom fresh and interesting. One day we were playing games to increase vocab, another day giving presentations about our favorite Persian of all time, and then another day we would be in the computer lab listening to Persian songs. Every day was different and exciting. Our classroom was also filled with diverse and eccentric personalities, and that was part of the reason why I loved Persian so much. I looked forward going to class every day because I would leave laughing and happy. I made life-long friends with classmates that I still keep in touch with to this day. I can’t say that about most people that I met at Cornell. If you wish America and Iran had a better understanding, take Persian. If you want to be challenged but have fun every day, take Persian. If you wish you had a Professor that actually cares about you, take Persian. If you want to make friends and have a sense of community, take Persian. Trust me, you won’t regret it. I speak from experience. I was lost, but then I was found. Thank you Ustaad and my former classmates for helping me grow academically and spiritually. I will never forget you.

F.C.