images from the Flateyjarbók manuscript (GKS 1005), ca. 1390 AD images from the Flateyjarbók manuscript (GKS 1005), ca. 1390 AD images from the Flateyjarbók manuscript (GKS 1005), ca. 1390 AD

HIS 3200: The Viking Age

Always look on the bright side of life

This page will be used to post occasional tidbits on the Viking Age, including on its less-than-academic side. Student contributions are heartily welcomed -- please e-mail me anything you find entertaining. Contributions in all media are acceptable (as long as I can figure out how to upload them to the website), for example:

I hope to receive enough contributions to be able to update this section of the website on a weekly basis, posting the best offering received. Students who contribute items to this page will receive bonus credit.

This webpage is set up solely for nonprofit educational purposes. I make no revenue, nor do I intend to promote any artists. The images and links posted here are publicly available for a limited time only, typically about one week; they then go into a password-protected archive, only accessible to individuals affiliated with Cornell University.

While I believe such limited posting fairly accomplishes the valid purposes of this webpage, I have no desire to contradict the specific wishes of any copyright holder. If you hold the copyright and object to having your material featured here, please contact me directly and I will promptly remove such material.

Week XIII

two thumbs up!

Roger Ebert

Read here a compilation of all your comments (to date) regarding the three viking films we've watched, cropped from the discussion board & annotated (by me).

I thought I'd also share with you a film reaction paper written by a student in a past iteration of this course.
I find it insightful & funny.

Útlaginn reaction paper

(with thanks to Jadzia Biskupska for her permission to reprint)

Week XIV

1066 & all that

1066: year of three battles

This game can teach you a thing or two about the bloody history of 1066 AD, about Viking Age tactics & strategy, and most importantly, about the profanity appropriate for Viking Age battlefields.
(courtesy of Xan Stepp)

archive (password protected)

return to HIS 3200 syllabus

Oren Falk, Associate Professor

Department of History, Cornell University

of24@cornell.edu

Page last updated on: 1 May, 2012