Copyright and Disclaimer

Copyright Fair Use Clause

Material on this site has mostly been created by the site author, Oren Falk, but some has been assembled from elsewhere on the Web and placed here for ease and rapidity of local access, meaning mainly for my own Cornell students.

A good faith effort has been made to comply with US copyright law. This does not imply any claim that all of the material is outside copyright, but does mean that I have adhered to the best of my knowledge and ability to the "fair use" clause of US Copyright. This "fair use" clause is quoted below from the University of Pennsylvania website.

In particular, no copyright material here is used for commercial gain; all is exclusively for educational purposes; and I limit any quotation of previously published material to a small proportion of the published source.

I should appreciate the opportunity to hear directly any objections if material placed here does not conform to these "fair use" provisions. If you have comments or suggestions, please e-mail me so that I can remove any offending material pending resolution of the issue.

I owe an enormous debt of gratitude to my colleagues, Paul Hyams and Susanne Pohl, from whom a considerable proportion of the materials provided on this website (as well as much of the format in which they are presented) has been copied. Fittingly, this disclaimer has been lifted from Paul Hyams, who in turn acknowledges his debt to Paul Halsall, creator of the enormously useful Internet History Sourcebooks project (ancient, medieval and modern). Thank you, both Pauls.

107: Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair Use

Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phone records or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use, the factors to be considered shall include:

I am always very grateful to hear of non-functioning links so I can repair them.

Return to HIS151 Home

Oren Falk, Assistant Professor

Department of History, Cornell University

of24@cornell.edu

Page last updated on: 24 August, 2004